[Bristol-Birds] Re: Great Blog Post: Its All An Image

  • From: michael sledjeski <mtnsylva@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 11:43:42 -0500

-more griping by birders clinging to the methods of the past, and stubbornly
resisting the new digital technology.  I know how it is; I  didn't ditch my old
rabbit-eared cathode-ray TV for a flat screen and a satellite until the FCC
eliminated analog signals.

Field notes are fine when you've got lots of time and prior knowledge.  Lacking
one or both, the chances of correct identification are much greater with a few
decent images to study at home with your guides, or to relay to experts for
help.  Even so, the images may not be enough for conclusive i.d., but In the
process of studying the photos, you learn about critical characteristics and
possible alternatives. Next time, you have a better idea of what to look for.
I've been able to able to identify quite a few species from images made earlier
in the day, or had misidentifications corrected by others because I had photos
available.  What's wrong with that?  I just don't always have the time or
experience to know what I'm seeing in the field, in the air, or on the water.

Photography is a terrific identification tool, and birds are wonderful
subjects.  I expect that digital cameras will become as common an accessory as
bins and scopes,  and encourage many more folks to get involved with birding.

On Dec 20, 2010, at 7:04 AM, Allen Boynton wrote:

> A most interesting blog post on the bird photography scene:
>
> http://thecrowcouncil.co.uk/2010/12/625/
>
> Allen Boynton
> Troutdale, VA

MENDOTA HAWK MIGRATION DAILY AND SEASON TOTALS CAN
BE FOLLOWED DAILY ON THE HAWK MIGRATION ASSOC. SITE
http://hawkcount.org/month_summary.php?rsitep6&PHPSESSID²eb5deb1ae5a23e55dcf30171c5ba85

http://bristolbirdclub.org

Nature Calendar for NE TN / SW VA:
http://www.google.com:80/calendar/embed?src=eHlvbjQyQGdtYWlsLmNvbQ