[Bristol-Birds] Glade Spring Party D Results

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2004 21:05:59 -0500

A team of seven birders, spent a wonderful day with beautiful weather, finding
55 species in Area D of the Galde Spring Christmas Bird Count today, Saturday,
3 Jan.
Rick Knight, Rack Cross, Andy Jones, Don Holt, Tom Horsch, Chris O'Bryan and
Wallace Coffey birded our area mostly south of I-81 and south of the Middle
Fork Hoslton River in Washington County, VA.

We enjoyed a nice evening of fellowship on Friday, gathering at the Creeper
Trail Cottages in Damascus where we had a pizza dinner.   Andy Jones, working
on his Ph.D. at the University of Minnesota, presented a neat slide show and
talk of his recent ornithological research in Russia.

Following the party and talk, Tom Horsch hosted us for a "Midnight Madness
Sale" at  two stores of his Sun Dog Outfitters.  We bought two bicycles, topo
maps computer program, outdoor clothing, shoes, handwarmers and other
deeply-discounted merchandise.

The group spent the night before the count in two streamside cottages.

Our bird list:

Great Blue Heron 4
American Black Duck 1
Canada Goose 26