[Bristol-Birds] Fwd: In Yuma VA this afternoon (Broad-winged hawks)

  • From: RonEHarrin <RonEHarrin@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol Bird Network <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Birding Kingsport <birdingkingsport@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Steven Hopp <shopp@xxxxxxx>, Mike Hagy <mlhagy322morning@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Randy & Mary Sue Smith <maryran@xxxxxxx>, Marty/Jo Ann Huber/Detta <jomart2u@xxxxxxxxx>, Diane Harris <dmharris@xxxxxxxx>, Betty Edmondson <Betty.Edmondson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Michael Sanders <hawk036@xxxxxxx>, Sam Evans <samevansathome@xxxxxxxxx>, "vicky_frye@xxxxxxxxxxx" <vicky_frye@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "petergmorgan@xxxxxxxxx" <petergmorgan@xxxxxxxxx>, Judith Wiley <wyliejc@xxxxxxxxxxx>, John Brenner <johnbrenner@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Kathy Shearer <shearer44@xxxxxxxxx>, Betty Edmondson <betty.edmondson7@xxxxxxxxx>, Matt Fleenor <matt3@xxxxxx>, Rob Morgan <morganforestry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ramsey White <vagrace@xxxxxxxxx>, Jill Scott <jillhscott2@xxxxxxxxx>, Amanda Bishop <amandab@xxxxxx>, Teresa Hutson <hutson.teresa@xxxxxxxxx>, Jeremy Keller <jeremy_keller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Michael Ripper <ripperarts@xxxxxxxxx>, william charles <williamcharles@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Dennis Sanders <dblcenv@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Margaret Short <margaret.short@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ed Morgan <morganofwolfhills@xxxxxxxxx>, "jmeadows@xxxxxxxx" <jmeadows@xxxxxxxx>, Lynn & Jim Otis <lotis@xxxxxxxx>, April Addington <April.Addington@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jacob Smith <Jakebuilder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2018 08:29:16 -0400

See message below from Jennifer Meade. Yuma, VA is on the Southeast side of Clinch Mountain near Weber City, VA (Scott County).  Sure wish I could have made it to Mendota yesterday. Apparently no one did.  Some sites in VA and NC had some great numbers:

Candler Mountain, VA (Near Lynchburg): 3604; Harvey's Knob, VA (Near Roanoke): 4240; Grandfather Mountain, NC: 4,601; Rock Fish Gap, VA (Near Waynesboro, VA): 1711. Should be more birds today pushing through on a broad front. If you go to Mendota, send me your count. Thanks.

Ron

Ron,
Today I am at my mother's in Yuma, VA.-- at the South base of Clinch mountain. I watched for Hawks from approx. 2:40-5:30--the sky was literally full of Hawks on 3-4 different tracks. I counted 687 broad-wings, 2 red-tails, probably locals, 2 red -shoulders, most definitely locals,  I am fairly certain there is a nest in mountain behind the house, 2 kestrels, 7 red-headed woodpeckers, 1 juvenile bald eagle, and 3 monarchs. I had to dash home to feed the goats, but Hawks were still flying at 5:30, but were at a significantly lower altitude. If anyone at Mendota today, should have a great count.
Jennifer

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>