[Bristol-Birds] Fw: [Va-bird] Kirtland's Warbler Search in Virginia, May 2010

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-Birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 23:57:07 +0000

Hi all,

We have perhaps 20 people now who will be looking in the counties of
southwestern Virginia this weekend (7-9 May) and beyond for Kirtland's
Warblers.  Dick Peake's four records from Wise County (in 1994, 1995, and
2000) span 7 - 11 May, and one record was of 2 singing males.  These birds
were found actively foraging and singing around riparian disturbed habitats
with multiflora rose and autumn olive AND in young pines in a reclaimed
strip mine site, just across the road.  It makes sense to concentrate on
similar habitats this year.  The first bird, in 1994, was found after the
passage of a front (one is forecast for this weekend as well). Very early
morning appears to be the best time to hear a migrant Kirtland's in song.

It is worth keeping in mind that in the year 2000, when Peake had his most
recent records, there were just over 800 singing male Kirtland's; in 2009,
there were just over 1800, including 11 in Wisconsin. So the chances of
finding one have surely gone up, not down, for Virginia birders.

The group searching this weekend will be spread out, probably from Buchanan
down to Scott counties (but there are no rules on where to search!), and
will be in contact via a text-messaging service.  For anyone out birding in
adjacent areas - for instance, the Blacksburg area, or South Holston Lake in
the Bristol area, or eastern Kentucky, or easternmost Tennessee - it might
be fun to coordinate/communicate with the Kirtlands group.  If interested,
let me know, and I can send instructions for subscribing to the text-message
group (there is no charge for this).  Please feel free to post this note to
local listserves to boost participation.  If there are questions of any
sort, feel free to send those.  I will be away from email after 6 May.

Ned Brinkley
Cape Charles, Va.