[Bristol-Birds] Four Northern River Otters on Bristol CBC

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'bristol-birds'" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2014 15:59:33 -0500

One of the fun finds we had on the Bristol Christmas Bird Count

Sunday was seeing four Northern River Otters actively feeding.

This species has a large, weasel-like, long, and slender body

with small eyes, ears and head, short legs, webbed toes

and a tapering tail.  The fur is dense, soft, short, and rich

brown above. They weight 10-25 pounds. This may have been a

family group staying together for the winter. They prey primarily

on non-game fish especially slow moving fish and bottom dwelling

rough fish.  They were found by Dr. Kevin Hamed.  This must be

the third time we've had one on the Bristol CBC.

Wallace Coffey

Bristol TN