[bristol-birds] Re: Fish

  • From: Michael Hamed <kevin_hamed@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 10:47:37 -0700 (PDT)

Jack,
What stream did you find the spotfins chub in.  That information is valuable
and should be sent to David Whithers (Natural Hertiage) and Rick Bivens (TWRA).
 This could be a new population I am not sure about the current distribution.
You are correct about the beauty of native fish and how helpful binoculars and
be from bridges or high streambanks.
Kevin Hamed
Bristol, TN
  Jack Litz <wjlitz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: Many of you know Dr. Fred Alsop of
ETSU as an ornithologist. He is also an expert ichthyologist. The five of us
taking his Appalachian Fauna class this summer spend about 15 hours a week,
mostly electrofishing area streams and birding, but also butterflying, and
herping. Today we worked the North Fork Holston River between Netherland Inn
Road Bridge and the 11E Bridge in Kingsport turning up four of the most
beautiful fishes that I have seen. These are the Redline Darter, the Tennessee
Snubnose Darter, and the Banded Darter - all in breeding colors and the very
rare and most beautiful of all - Spotfin Chub (a threatened species). The
colors have to be seen to be believed. Color plates in the field guides simply
do not do these fishes justice. Many of our native species put commercially
available aquarium fishes to shame.

We all use binoculars for birding, observing butterflies, etc., but under some
circumstances, they can be used effectively for identifying fishes in the water
and observing them going about their business - give it a try.

Jack Litz
Kingsport

and Northeast Tennessee. It serves the Russell County
Bird Club, Herndon Chapter TOS, Greeneville TOS
Chapter, Blue Ridge Birders Club, Butternut Nature
Club, Buchanan County Bird Club, Bristol Bird Club,
Clinch Valley Bird Club and Cumberland Nature Club.
Bird Club, Herndon Chapter TOS, Greeneville TOS
Chapter, Blue Ridge Birders Club, Butternut Nature
Club, Buchanan County Bird Club, Bristol Bird Club,
Clinch Valley Bird Club and Cumberland Nature Club.
         jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx
           (423)764-3958