[Bristol-Birds] Evening Grosbeaks and More

  • From: Ronald Harrington <roneharrin@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol Bird Network <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Steven Hopp <shopp@xxxxxxx>, Mike Hagy <mlhagy322morning@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Randy & Mary Sue Smith <maryran@xxxxxxx>, Marty/Jo Ann Huber/Detta <jomart2u@xxxxxxxxx>, Michael Sanders <hawk036@xxxxxxx>, Sam Evans <samevansathome@xxxxxxxxx>, "vicky_frye@xxxxxxxxxxx" <vicky_frye@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "petergmorgan@xxxxxxxxx" <petergmorgan@xxxxxxxxx>, Judith Wiley <wyliejc@xxxxxxxxxxx>, John Brenner <johnbrenner@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Kathy Shearer <shearer44@xxxxxxxxx>, Betty Edmondson <betty.edmondson7@xxxxxxxxx>, Rob Morgan <morganforestry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ramsey White <vagrace@xxxxxxxxx>, Jill Scott <jillhscott2@xxxxxxxxx>, Dennis Sanders <dblcenv@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Margaret Short <margaret.short@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ed Morgan <morganofwolfhills@xxxxxxxxx>, "Charlotte L. Parsons" <charlotte@xxxxxxxx>, Lisa Jett <ljett@xxxxxxxx>, Adrianna Nelson <adriannan1@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Judy Moose <judymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Denise Hall <denisehall1118@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Evelyn Denham <evelyn.denham@xxxxxxxxx>, Catherine Denham <cathydenham99@xxxxxxxxx>, Daniel Hess <daniel.ahess2680@xxxxxxxxx>, Gary Cooper <tikiowl@xxxxxxxxx>, Jane Thornhill <jthill1949@xxxxxxxxx>, Monica Hoel <mhoel1985@xxxxxxxxx>, Diane Harris <dmacharris214@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2021 12:03:24 -0400

On Monday morning (April 19) Sam Evans and I visited Todd Eastin's place in Shady Valley to see if the Evening Grosbeaks were still hanging out up there. We were not disappointed: Shortly after arriving (a little after 8:00 am) they showed up. We estimated there were at least 60, but they were constantly moving around through the trees, and back and forth to the feeders, making them hard to count.  Wonderful experience!! A life species for Sam, and the first for me since the early to mid-1970s. We sure appreciate Todd's hospitality--a very enjoyable visit.

After leaving, we decided to make a brief tour of the bogs.

*Quarry Bog: *We parked just past the gate and were greeted by what sounded like the "toots" of Northern Saw-whet Owls. There were several coming from the trees near a marshy area. After few minutes, the sounds stopped, and we did not hear them again. I don't have much experience with this species. We did not see any owls. Subsequently, I have contacted Stephen Hopp and Cade Campbell to get their input. And Todd Eastin will be visiting the location to see what he can hear or see. Stay tuned. (Todd told me later that a neighbor reported hearing Saw-whet owls up in Owl Hollow this past winter)

1.      Red-winged Blackbird (numerous)
2.      Brown-headed Cowbird
3.     Turkey Vulture
4.     Mallard Duck