[Bristol-Birds] Elk Garden and Clifton area birds...

  • From: "Richard Kretz" <kretz9446@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-Birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2006 15:31:18 -0500

Folks,
Today Pam and I birded the Elk Garden and Clifton areas... Surprisingly it was
her idea... As we got a late start (about 11) we didn't see much activity, but
still managed to find a few good birds... In Elk Garden along the road we found
White-Crowned Sparrows, Song Sparrows, Northern Cardinals, Blue Jays, Northern
Mockingbirds, a Carolina Wren, a House Wren, an Eastern Towhee, Mourning Doves,
American Crows, Common Grackles, Red-Winged Blackbirds, and European Starlings.
In the "pond" area there was a Belted Kingfisher perched on a power line, four
Canada Geese down stream, and a few Killdeer. The "mud hole" area showed no
activity as there were cattle grazing about it. The Red-Tailed Hawk's nest on
the west side of US Route 80 (Hayters Gap Rd.) didn't appear occupied. Going
out Mountain Rd. we found White-Throated Sparrows, Song Sparrows, Carolina
Chickadees, White-Breasted Nuthatch, Yellow-Rumped Warblers, Carolina Wren,
Northern Cardinals, Blue Jays, Northern Mockingbirds, American Crows, Common
Grackles, Red-Winged Blackbirds, European Starlings, Turkey Vultures, a
Red-Tailed Hawk, and a downy Woodpecker. At Stuart's Pond in Rosedale we found
Mourning Doves, Rock Doves, 12 Canada Geese, a few Killdeer, Red-Winged
Blackbirds, European Starlings, and Song Sparrows. There was a Red-Tailed Hawk
perched in a tree on the south side of US Route 80 just after the intersection
with US Route 19. In the Little River we found a pair of Wood Ducks, Mallards,
and a Great Blue Heron. Along Kent's Ridge Rd. we found a Red-Shouldered Hawk,
American Crows, Red-Winged Blackbirds, European Starlings, White-Crowned
Sparrows, White-Throated Sparrows, Song Sparrows, an American Kestrel, a
Red-Tailed Hawk, Turkey Vultures, Mourning Doves, Eastern Meadowlarks,
Killdeer, and a pair of Mallards.
Enjoy the birds...
Richard Kretz
Elk Garden, Russell Co., VA