[Bristol-Birds] Eagles on Clinch River -- Horton's Ford Rd.

  • From: "Shirley A. Price" <armstg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 18:52:41 -0400

March 29, 2008, about 3 p.m., went to Horton's Ford Rd. in Hawkins County to
check out the eagles' nest.....which is in a sycamore tree across the river
from the road.....   What a wonderful time to be there!   I suspected that Mama
had "hatched" because of the way she was sitting higher in the nest.....and she
kept kind of "nudging" down in the nest.....
Watched her for about 30 minutes and decided to give it up......  On my way
west on Horton's Ford Rd., met "Daddy" flying upstream.....turned around ASAP
and went back to my spot.   Had just put my binocs back on the nest when he
lit.... The two of them together were spectacular....they kept poking around--
at this point, Mama was standing up in the nest--  and I could see at least two
little flyff balls kind of bobbing in the nest....both adults were feeding
them.   Then Mama flew off upstream and Daddy continued to perch on the nest
and seemed to still be feeding.   Again, I decided I must go home so went east
on the road to the turn-around spot.....looking for Mama all the time up the
river.   By the time I got back to my spot,  she was back on the nest, settled
down....and I saw Daddy leave the nest and fly downstream where I spotted him
perched in a tree on the opposite bank of the river a few hundred feet
downstream......   It was a wonderful experience!   Shirley Price, Rogersville