[Bristol-Birds] Dickcissels return to Western Washington County

  • From: MerlinZ02@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 08:37:27 EDT

Highlight birds in this report include: Dickcissel, Grasshopper Sparrow,
Least - Western - Solitary Sandpipers, Redheaded Woodpecker, and Blue Grosbeaks.
Yesterday, 5-9-05, I wandered down to Keebler Road where I found a Dickcissel
singing in the lone tree about halfway down the road. This was at about
5:30pm.

Unknowingly and simultaneously Fred Alsop with his the TWRA group he is
giving a birding refresher course to had Dickcissels at the intersection of Old
SR
34 and Taylor Mill.  On up the road from there around the edges of West View
Pond (next to West View School) Fred and group had Least Sandpipers, Solitary
Sandpiper, and Western Sandpipers.

Back on Keebler Road, I had a few other good birds...Sharp-shinned Hawk,
Red-tailed Hawk, Redheaded Woodpecker, Least Sandpiper (2), Solitary Sandpiper
(5), Killdeer (2), and a Turkey Vulture lazily tilting back and forth on a
thermal or two.

Then it was off to Davey Crockett Birthplace State Park where I found a
Yellow-breasted Chat in field in the back.  Other birds found included -
Spotted
Sandpiper (1), Field Sparrow (~6), Chipping Sparrow (~5), Blue Grosbeak (1),
Indigo Bunting (6), Common Grackles, Robins, Red-winged Blackbirds,
Brown-headed
Cowbirds, Tree Swallow, Northern Rough-winged Swallow, and Eastern Kingbirds
(6 and 1 nest found).  These birds should be recorded in Greene County.

As I was leaving the park, newly married Alan Trently called to return my
Sibley's Guide he borrowed over his honeymoon weekend.  I told him about my day
thus far and talked him into meeting me at the Exxon in Limestone and go back
to relocate the Dickcissels.

We picked up another good bird at our first stop back at Keebler - a Blue
Grosbeak for Washington County.  Then we headed to the Old SR 34 and Taylor
Mill
intersection to find ~3-4 Dickcissels singing (~8:00pm) along with a Northern
Bobwhite, and 2-3 Grasshopper Sparrows singing here as well. We ended the day
inbetween Keebler Rd and Davey Crockett Birthplace State Park with more
Grasshopper Sparrows sining and many Chimney Swifts.

Rob Biller
Elizabethton, TN