[Bristol-Birds] Canada warbler, veery, etc at Roan Mt, TN (Carter County) 5/14/07

  • From: david kirschke <dkirschke@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 07:20:06 -0700 (PDT)

As I was out of town and unable to go to Roan Mt with Reece Jamerson, Brookie
and Jean Potter, and Bryan Stevens last Friday evening, I decided to go up last
evening -minus the good company and with somewhat less success?(although I did
enjoy a nice sunset from Round Bald).

  Roan Mt, TN (Carter County) 5/14/07 PM
  Canada warbler (pair below Carver?s Gap)
  Veery (2+ calling in Rhododendron Garden)
  Red-breasted nuthatch (3 @ and below Carver?s Gap)
  American redstart (pair @ Golden-winged Curve)
  Black-billed cuckoo (calling @ Golden-winged Curve)
  Least flycatcher (@ picnic area below Hummingbird Hill)
  Swainson?s thrush (calling)
  N saw-whet owl (2 calling)
  (I got excited at one point because I thought I heard a whip-poor-will below
Carver?s Gap, but it quit calling every time I turned of my owl recording!)

  Also, I saw my first Common Nighthawk flying over the New River at Fries, VA
as my wife, daughter, and I were finishing a bike ride on the New River Trail
(a nice birding destination w/i a couple hours of here).

  David Kirschke
  Johnson City, TN