[Bristol-Birds] Cackling Goose (Greene Co., TN)

  • From: Alice Loftin / Don Miller <pandion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, butternuts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 23:10:43 -0500 (EST)

January 28, 2011

At about 11:00 this morning, I observed a Cackling Goose in a fly-by flock of
Canada Geese in Greene County. The precise location was in the vicinity of
"downtown" Afton, a community adjacent to the eastern outskirts of Greeneville.

The birds were flying east approximately where the railroad track cuts through
Afton, and they disappeared by landing somewhere just north of the track. I
observed them from about a quarter mile away and got a decent look through
binoculars for several seconds. I think the flock may have lit on an industrial
pond located in the area, but I could not confirm this. Much of the pond is not
visible from nearby roads, and the property is not open to the public.

Don Miller
Greeneville, Greene Co., TN