[Bristol-Birds] Buchanan County, VA - Bobolink, Pipit, 18 species of warbler

  • From: "Ed Talbott" <etalbott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol Birders" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 May 2004 11:48:16 -0400

Bristol Birders,

Michelle and I, along with our dog Chazzie, made our annual marathon
birding trip across parts of Buchanan County on Saturday for the
International Migratory Bird Day.  We managed to break our last year's
number of 79 species - finding  82 species for the day.  The biggest
surprise were the number of missed species - Cuckoos, WT-Sparrows, Great
Blue Herons, YT-Vireo, Raven, RB-Woodpecker, etc.  Warblers made a good
showing with 18 species.  A three-hour hike to the top of Big A Mountain
netted the Black-throated Blue and Canada Warblers - species not normally
found in the lower elevations of Buchanan County.  The biggest find of the
day was a Bobolink and an American Pipit on the mountain top at Poplar Gap
Park.  The highlight of the day were two Red-shouldered Hawks, a Red-tailed
Hawk, a Sharp-shinned Hawk, and an American Crow all involved in an aerial
dogfight over Sunset Hollow. For those interested, here is a listing of
birds we found during the day.

Ed Talbott
Buchanan County Bird Club

Yellow-throated Warbler  [8]