[Bristol-Birds] Brown Thrasher/Fox Sparrow with missing tail

  • From: RonEHarrin <RonEHarrin@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol Bird Network <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Mike Hagy <mlhagy322morning@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Randy & Mary Sue Smith <maryran@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2015 16:16:22 -0500

Today I had a Brown Thrasher hanging out at my feeders. Been a long time!! it behaved very aggressively with the other birds. Also had a Fox Sparrow with a missing tail. Did a little research and learned the following:

"If a bird's tail feathers are pulled out, they will quickly grow back in. Many adult birds adapt quite readily to flying without their tail feathers. If the tail feathers are broken or frayed, new ones will not grow back in until the bird molts."

If you have additional or differing information, please enlighten me. Thanks.

Ron Harrington
Bristol, VA/Washington County
Evergreen Hills