[Bristol-Birds] Boyd Ridge and a life bird

  • From: "Todd Perkins" <bigun_75@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 12:58:46 -0400

Area birders,

Yesterday morning I went turkey hunting on Boyd ridge.  I didn't hear or see
any turkeys but I did hear many songbirds.

I had a yellow billed cuckoo fly in within 25 yds of me.  I had vireos fly
within  10 feet of my above my head.  They probably couldn't see me because
I had my realtree on.  I've noticed that if I go birding with  a turkey
hunting approach, I see more birds close up.   Hooded and cerulean warblers
were numerous.  I also had one chesnut sided warbler.  Here are the birds
that were seen or heard:

Acadian flycatcher
yellow throated warbler
yellow warbler
black throated green warbler
cerulean warbler
northern parula
hooded warbler
black and white warbler
chesnut sided warbler
american redstart
indigo bunting
song sparrow
chipping sparrow
yellow billed cuckoo
yellow throated vireo
blue headed vireo
red eyed vireo
red tailed hawk
american robin
american goldfinch
american crow
tufted titmouse
brown headed cowbird
grackle
eastern phoebe
eastern wood pewee
carolina wren
kentucky warbler
ovenbird
wood thrush
blue gray gnatcatcher
blue winged warbler
yellow breasted chat
scarlet tanager

Also when I got back from boyd ridge, I went to a gaswell down the road from
my house.  While there I got a warbling vireo, a life bird for me.  I was
sitting still, in my camo, and three flew in above me.  They flew within 10
to 15 feet of me at one time.  I noticed that they were chasing each other
fighting.  They would display around to each other to try to intimidate the
other. One would land in front of the other, fan their tail and make a
hissing sound.

Todd Perkins

Bird Club, Herndon Chapter TOS, Chapter, Blue Ridge
and Cumberland Nature Club.
         jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx
           (423)764-3958