[Bristol-Birds] Blue-winged Warbler at Hampton Creek Cove State Natural Area

  • From: Rick Phillips <sunfish0501@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bristol-birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 21:10:25 -0400

Hampton Creek Cove State Natural Area (Roan Mountain)
Carter County, Tennessee
May 10, 2012

I was photographing birds this morning at Hampton Creek Cove State Natural
Area, at the base of Roan Mountain in Carter County Tennessee. For a good
thirty minutes I listened to a bird singing a typical Type I Blue-winged
Warbler song (beee-buzzzzzz). I'm familiar with the songs of the
Golden-winged Warbler (which I also heard this morning) and Blue-winged
Warbler. I would call it 100% Blue-winged, but never actually got a look at
the bird. Golden-winged Warblers occur regularly in this area, but both the
Blue-winged Warbler and hybrids have been observed here. The bird was along
the right side of the entrance road between the old house ruins and the
first big, red gate you encounter as you follow the trail up into the cove.
Habitat was open with small trees and scattered blackberry.

Rick

--
Rick Phillips
Kingsport, Tennessee