[Bristol-Birds] Birds at Austin Springs, Steele Creek Park and Paddle Creek Ponds

  • From: "Roy & Robin Knispel" <rknispel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 17:14:21 -0400

Gil Derouen and I spent the morning birding, with the following highlights:

Austin Springs (Washington County)
From the Austin Springs Road Bridge
Two mature Bald Eagles diving on three coots that were out in the middle of the
river downstream from the bridge.
We didn't see either catch a coot, but later one had a catch (most likely a
fish) on the far side of the river and both settled there on a sand bar.
From Hyder Hill Road:
Pied Billed Grebe       2
Great Blue Heron       2
Killdeer                    40
Tree Swallow            12

Steele Creek Park, Sullivan County:
We did not see any Scoters or other diving ducks
We saw 1 Pied Billed Grebe, 6 E. Bluebirds, 4 Yellow-rumped Warblers, and the
usual Geese, Mallards and some other common birds.

Paddle Creek Ponds, Sullivan County:
Canada Geese           128
Mallard                        17
Gadwall                        2