[Bristol-Birds] Birding Morning, Simerly Creek Road, Hampton, TN

  • From: AHoodedWarbler@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, HerndonBirdClub@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 13:04:31 EDT

Brookie and Jean Potter visited Bryan Stevens and David Thometz for a morning
of birding on Simerly Creek Road, Hampton, Carter Co., TN, on Saturday, Sept.
13.

After a heavy fog finally burned away, we began to pick up migrants.

Warblers included Kentucky Warbler, Tennessee Warbler, Black-throated Blue
Warbler, Hooded Warbler, Ovenbird, Magnolia Warbler and Chestnut-sided Warbler.

We also had Wood Thrush, Blue-headed Vireo (first this fall), Northern Raven
(first this fall), Broad-winged Hawk, Eastern Wood-Pewee, Eastern Phoebe,
Cedar Waxwing, Gray Catbird and Ruby-throated Hummingbird.

Overnight, a large number of American Robins arrived. They were everywhere.
In addition, seven Mallards must have landed on the fish pond overnight, and
flew off as we began birding.

Resident birds included Pileated Woodpecker, Red-bellied Woodpecker, Northern
Flicker, Downy Woodpecker, Tufted Titmouse, Carolina Chickadee, Carolina
Wren, Northern Cardinal (feeding young),
White-breasted Nuthatch, Song Sparrow, American Goldfinch, Blue Jay and
Common Crow.

We also had Eastern Screech-Owl (2) and Turkey Vulture (2).

We also identified a few butterflies, including Least Skipper, Sachem,
Cabbage White, Pearl Crescent, Eastern Tailed Blue, Pipevine Swallowtail, Great
Spangled Fritillary and Buckeye.

We birded from 8 a.m.-11:30 a.m. mostly along the outskirts of the yard and
also in the woods.   We had a very good morning and I was thrilled to help
Brookie and Jean secure a life bird (Kentucky Warbler).

Bryan Stevens,
Hampton, TN

Psssst...Have you heard the news? There's a new
fashion blog, plus the latest fall trends and hair styles at StyleList.com.