[Bristol-Birds] Bald Eagle photo near Powell River in Lee Co., VA where they have nest in the past several years

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2014 17:55:30 -0400

Bald Eagle from Lemaster 15 April 2014 shot in Scott Co..jpeg

This Bald Eagle was spotted by a fisherman named Jordan Bledsoe on the
Powell River near Flanary Bridge Road,

 Jonesville, VA. He sent this photo to Roger Lemaster who passed it on to
our list.  The Flanary Bridge location is just

south of U.S. 58 and an eagle was found at a nest in this area in the spring
of 2010 by  David Kramar, a Ph.D. graduate

student from Virginia Tech.  This was then the third known Bald Eagle nest
for Southwest Virginia.  This Lee County

site was the most western known eagle nesting site in Virginia.  In 2010 it
had one eaglet about seven weeks of age.

The nest is about 70 feet above the ground. The site is at a cliff face
along the banks of the Powell River.

This is about 8 to 10 miles north of the Clinch River nest in Tennessee west
of Gate City. The Lee County nest was

found in early 2009 but apparently abandoned, according to a local source.
The adult came back and added to the

structure and laid at least one egg.  Tom Hunter, Dave Worley and I searched
for this nest while we were in the

area a few years go looking for Peregrines along the great White Rock
cliffs.  We did not find either eagles or the

nest.

JPEG image