[bristol-birds] Bald Eagle - Buchanan County, VA

  • From: "Ed Talbott - GN" <etalbott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 13:33:13 -0400

Bristol Birders,
        Just saw my first Buchanan County Bald Eagle today.  I was talking to my
Dad, Ed Talbott Jr., in the parking lot of the public library when we
noticed a small kettle of Turkey Vultures moving above the ridge line and I
decided to get my binocs to look for Black Vultures.  When I got the binocs
on them I noticed a small hawk was harassing them - I'm fairly certain it
was a Sharp-shinned as the TVs were several times larger - too far away to
see if the tail was straight.  Then I noticed another bird following the TVs
along the ridge - maybe back about 300 yards.  It took all of about 0.5
seconds to get this bird ID'd.  Huge raptor, white head, white tail,
straight wings, dark body, and larger than the TVs - it was a Bald Eagle.
The Sharpie had to make a couple of passes at the eagle as it cruised by.
In less than a minute the eagle had followed the TV's across the ridge.  It
was a Buchanan County first for both me and my Dad - eagles are quite a
rarity around here.

Ed Talbott, III
Buchanan County Bird Club
http://www.bcplnet.org/birdclub/birdclub.htm

Bird Club, Herndon Chapter TOS, Greeneville TOS
Chapter, Blue Ridge Birders Club, Butternut Nature
Club, Buchanan County Bird Club, Bristol Bird Club,
Clinch Valley Bird Club and Cumberland Nature Club.
         jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx
           (423)764-3958