[Bristol-Birds] Backyard Cooper's Hawk livening things up

  • From: Katherine Noblet <ednkan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <HerndonBirdClub@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2015 10:15:15 -0400

My backyard has been pretty boring this summer but for the last week or so
an immature Cooper¹s Hawk has been livening things up. It tenaciously
skulks and crashes through the trees every morning for up to an hour, trying
to catch a meal. The Blue Jays fuss and holler constantly at it and all the
feeder birds disappear.

The raptor has even taken some swipes at the fat squirrels who seem not take
it very seriously. (I would love to have it take a few out!) This morning
the bird cooperated and showed it¹s self enough to get some photos.

I have had a Blue Gray Gnatcatcher showing up and a fair number of
hummingbirds fighting over the feeders. I¹m glad to see a bit of action
after a pretty slow summer.

K. Noblet