[Bristol-Birds] Re: BBC members

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 08:43:59 -0400

What a great idea!  Dave.....I accept your challenge.  Put me down for three
bags.

The Bristol Bird Club has long been the leader in supporting causes of every
kind, from providing a $1,000 sponsoring Bald Eagles for the U.S. Forest
Service and TWRA to release at South Holston Lake, to paying expenses for a
national speaker for the Kentucky Ornithological Society's annual state
meeting, to building and putting up a
100 owl roosting boxes in Northeast Tennessee, providing funds to help clean up
wildlife habitat in costal Alabama which was devastated by a hurricane, to
providing radio transmitters for the study of
wintering owls, providing honorariums for doctoral graduate students in
ornithology, funding the
overwintering needs of hawks and owls in a rehab program in Carter County.

We have also managed funds and fund raising and production of all of the major
books on bird distributions for the Virginia Cumberland's, Northeast Tennessee,
Shady Valley and Smyth County and adjacent areas.  We have provided a truck
load of sunflower seeds for the Steele Creek Park Nature Center -- literally a
truck load!   In addition we helped build the nature center at Steele Creek
Park, provided furnishing for the building, built bookcases, conducted the
first ever public nature program at the park, the first ever public tour of the
nature center, provided displays for the center and helped with the open house.
 Let's keep up the good work !

Your membership and active participation in the BBC gives you not only a great
opportunity for field trips from
Whitetop Park, Shady Valley, Roan Mountain, Clinch Mountain Wildlife Management
Area, Kentucky, West Virginia and Burke's Garden but we even sponsored a field
trip South America.  And don't forget we first introduced world-class birder
and author Kenn Kaufman to our region and first took him afield to bird with
our birders.

After a successful trip to Trinidad and Tobago, the BBC is look to sponsor
trips to Central America, South America and the West Indies. The standing
committee is known as the BBC Rainforest Adventures Committee and led by our
Vice President-elect Dr. John Moyle.

Bring on more bird seed and let's continue the good work!  See ya all Saturday
at the picnic.  Thanks again Big Dave!

Let's go birding.....

Wallace  Coffey