[Bristol-Birds] BBC Float Boat Trip set for Saturday, November 29 (DETAILS)

  • From: "BBC Net" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'bristol-birds'" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2014 19:34:18 -0500

The Bristol Bird Club's Thanksgiving Holiday Weekend birding trip by float
boat

at South Holston Lake has drawn considerable interest as have most of our

birding by boat field trips over the years.

We are getting frequent phone calls and emails asking about the dates and

other details.

The birding-by-boat event is scheduled for the Saturday morning after

Thanksgiving Day which will be Saturday, November 29, and will launch

from our staging and loading area at US 421 bridge at 9 a.m. We will

probably be on the water for three hours.

We will meet at the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency's US 421

paved boat ramp at the Holston Mountain end of the bridge and load

from a floating dock which is in place by TWRA.  This is a large site

that can probably accommodate nearly 100 boat trailers and cars so you will

not be limited to finding a parking place.  The area will not be heavily
used

at that time.

Distinguished co-leaders have agreed to lead the trip and identify water
birds

with participants.  The leaders will be Rick Knight and Dr. Andy Jones,

curator of birds from the Cleveland, OH Museum of Natural History who

is also secretary of the American Ornithologists' Union.

The field trip is limited to 18 participants and we are nearly full.  Neal
and

Jean Henson of Kingsport will provide one float boat with 10 passenger which

Include Rick Knight and 9 passengers.  Wallace Coffey and Nancy McPeak will

provide a second float boat with 8 passengers which will include Andy Jones

and 7 passengers.

The parties will use FRS (Family Radio Service) walkie talkies operating on

Channel 5 to communicate between the two crafts and parties which will

travel and scan the water usually within maybe 30 yards or so of one
another.

Jean Henson and Nancy McPeak will provide an abundant supply of hot

chocolate with cups and napkins, etc. on their individual boats with large

thermos jugs for each boat.  In addition, free pastries will be provided on

each boat from the Blackbird Bakery.  If you need hot coffee bring your own

small thermos bottle.

Participants are asked to dress warmly and to bring blankets or quilts

or thermal blankets for extra comfort.  The Henson's will probably be able

to use their boat space heater for any special needs.

Couples and other individuals will be assigned to boats in order to balance

skill levels and personal interests.  The parties on each boat will be
notified

before Thanksgiving as to the boat and trip leader to which they are
assigned.

Boats, gas and all other needed items including life jackets will be
provided

free and in more than adequate numbers for each boat.  In addition, boats

will each have one or two spotting scopes for use by participants.

All aspects of the event are free to all participants and reservations have

been taken on a first come first reservation basis.

Boat setups and fueling and other aspects of readiness will be done by

the boat providers at least by the day before on Friday.

Anyone wishing to enjoy extended fellowship and good food can

pull together a Dutch lunch stop at the Little Italy Restaurant on

US 421 farther back towards Bristol following a fun morning of birding.

Neal and Jean will bring their boat to the TWRA ramp from Friendship

Marina and Wallace and Nancy will bring their boat from the Painter

Creek Marina farther up the lake.  The boats will be there probably

by 8:30 a.m. but there will be no rush for seats since everyone will

have seats for their use.

Our only concerns for weather will be snow, heavy rainfall or high

winds.  Neal is keeping an eye on that for us and we will make whatever

safe calls are needed in plenty of time for everyone to  react.

This event will be the fifth or sixth such BBC float boat field trip and

we have had trips at various seasons and in both daylight and darkness.

Several of you will remember our large cookouts and hauling firewood

to cook snacks and stay warm by night bonfires.  And some of you will

remember our float boat field trip that went out in the rain and came back

with the first known Eared Grebe at South Holston Lake more than

20 years ago.

Email me at jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx if you need help or call my

cell phone (423-360-2532) if you need to make reservation or ask questions.

Wallace Coffey

Bristol Bird Club