[Bristol-Birds] BBC Field Trip

  • From: "Richard Knight" <rknight8@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 11:30:31 -0400

As the newly elected Field Trip coordinator for the Bristol Bird Club, I first
want to
thank John Moyle for organizing many great outings for the club.
Mighty big shoes to fill.

Next to announce the first field trip of the summer:

Saturday, 5 June  - Hampton Creek Cove & Roan Mtn., TN
Meet at the Roan Mtn. State Park visitor center at 8:00 am.

Most of you should know where that is, but directions are:  from Elizabethton,
take
hwy 19-E to the village of Roan Mtn., and turn right on St. Rt. 143.  In a few
miles the
visitor center will be on the left.  Restrooms are available there.

At Hampton Creek Cove we will look for Willow & Alder Flycatchers, several
warblers
including Yellow, Chestnut-sided, Golden-winged, Blue-winged, Am. Redstart, &
Yellow-br. Chat.

Then we will drive up Roan Mtn, stopping to look for Least Flycatcher, Veery,
Canada
Warbler, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, & others.  At Carver's Gap we will sample the
spruce-fir forest, with Red-breasted Nuthatch, etc.

We will have to walk in at Hampton Creek Cove.  About one mile total, but
relatively
easy.  Afterwards, the birding up Roan Mtn will be roadside stops.

Bring a snack & drink.  Lunch can be picnic style (bring your own) or return to
the village.
Dress for the weather forecast.  It may be a bit cooler or breezier on top of
the
mountain.

Hope to see you there.

Rick Knight