[Bristol-Birds] Area birding last weekend

  • From: MerlinZ02@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 11:42:31 EST

Greetings Bristol and Surrounding Region Birders,
Last weekend I did some birding at the local lakes and counties and forgot to
submit a report.  Please forgive my tardiness.

Saturday - Feb 5

Ripshin Lake - Frozen with snow

Wilbur Dam (river):

Usual compliments of Bufflehead, 4 Ring-necked Ducks, and 1 Lesser Scaup.

Watauga Lake Overlook:

I figured I would head on up here to see if Tom McNeil's "guaranteed"
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker was present in the tree next to the visitor's center.
I was
the only person there so I figured I would pull up in a near spot and look
from the car as not to spook any birds present.  What a good idea this turned
out to be.  As I was scanning the tree, I caught a quick glimpse a woodpecker
on
the backside of a limb.  When it finally came around the limb again, I was
stunned to see a REDHEADED WOODPECKER.  It moved slightly up the limb and
stopped in the full sunlight which made it's head that much spectacular.  I
stayed
in my car and looked until finally another car pulled down which spooked the
bird to fly across the parking lot.  I got out of my car and looked and talked
with the family that pulled up for a moment.  As they decided to leave, I
walked over to the overlook platform and scanned the water.  A couple of
Ring-billed Gulls were flying over the water but the reflection of the sun on
the water
made it impossible to see anything on the lake.  I was about to give up and
head back to my car when I heard Tom's Yellow-bellied Sapsucker behind me.  I
turned around and sure enough there it was.  Then, without warning, the
REDHEADED WOODPECKER came swooping in to challenge the Sapsucker for the place
on the
limb.  I had never seen any interaction between these two species before and
that made for a neat little study.

Sunday, Feb 6

Wilber Dam (river):

Usual compliment of Bufflehead, 4 Ring-necked Ducks, and 1 Lesser Scaup.

Watauga Dam Overlook:

As I pulled up here this day it was totally different from the day before.  3
cars were in the parking lot.  I pulled in next to a car that had 2 little
dogs and their master.  They got out and starting playing fetch from the bench
under the tree that had housed the woodpeckers the day before.  When I got out
of the car I immediately heard Bluebirds singing, a Yellow-rumped Warbler flew
into the woodpecker tree, and just over the hill, in the scrubs, was an
Eastern Phoebe fly catching.  I walk down the parking lot and down the
imbankment
closer to the lake with no real luck.  A few Ring-billed Gulls were flying.
Hoping the game of catch would be over, I head back to the visitor's center
were
the game was still in full swing.  I decide to get back in my car and see if
I could wait it out.  While reading the Friends of Roan Mountain Newsletter in
my car I suddenly hear the amplified bass of another car stereo and the
famaliar words, "Just good ol' boys, never meaning no harm..."  Figuring this
spot
was history I decide to move on.

The trip over Cross Mountain, through Shady Valley, and over Holston Mountain
was beautiful.  I always enjoy riding this route but there were no
significant birds to report (hardly any at all).

Musick's Campground:

Having no scope, I knew this would be a long shot to see anything.  Turns out
I was correct: Group of birds far out on the right side (facing the water).
These looked just a little smaller than Mallard size but that is all I could
tell (I never saw them dive).  Far out on the left side (toward Washington
County Park) were a group of Grebes but again I couldn't ID them farther than
that.  To their left along the shoreline were hundreds of Gulls (mostly
Ring-billed I assume).  What I did see for sure were 2 Great Blue Herons, 1
Pied-billed
Grebe (really close), and 1 Common Loon (fairly close).

I turned down Pemberton Road (an old favorite road I used to bird a lot) with
not a lot of luck with birds that day.

South Holston Dam / Weir Dam:

I came in the main entrance and drive right in front of the Dam on my way
over to the weir dam.  Where the road turns away from the Dam (2nd generating
flume) I notice 4 Ring-neck Ducks.  When I reach the Weir Dam, it was packed
with
people.  The ducks had moved up farther toward the earthen dam and I couldn't
see them well from the parking area.  I travel up a bit further and head
through the path in the woods.  From this vantage point I could pick out
Mallards,
Bufflehead, the hybrid Redhead (I think)...but without the aid of a scope I
was still too far away to ID them all.  One bird in particular I would have
liked to have seen because it was smaller, flatter, and with a small, stiff
tail
point upwards.  I did notice that I DID NOT see any American Widgeon.

As I was heading out the back entrance and crossing the bridge, I notice
another group of birds.  I stopped on the far side of the bridge and walked
back
to see if by chance these were the Widgeon.  They turned out to be all Mallard
- about 20 on that end.  Odd to not see Widgeon here, but it happens I
suppose.

I ended up at my folks place in Bristol.  When I pulled in the driveway I
noticed Robins EVERYWHERE.  There was about 50 or better wrapping their way
from
garden area around the yard to the woods.  Just before I went in the house I
heard a Downy Woodpecker and heard/saw a Hairy Woodpecker.  Just before the
Superbowl started we heard a BANG from the driveway side of the house.  We
found
one of the Robins dead in the side yard after flying into the window.  Sad
ending to an otherwise fun area excursion.

Rob Biller
Elizabethton, TN