[Bristol-Birds] American Bittern, etc. (Greene Co., TN)

  • From: "Donald Miller" <pandion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-Bird" <TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 22:33:43 -0400

April 13, 2007

Greene County: Kinser Park (KP), Wal-Mart Distribution Center (WMDC), etc.

I adjusted my work schedule this morning to get in about four hours of birding
time and much benefited from being in the field after spending most of the last
several days inside.  Today was the first time that I had had a good
opportunity to examine the damage done by the recent cold blast.  Throughout
the morning, I kept having the sense that everything had been moved backward
about three weeks.  The look of the foliage and the bird species composition
together suggested a day in late March rather than one in mid-April.  It was
unpleasantly weird.  I concur with the accumulating opinions that the result
for birds is very bad and will likely get worse as the negative effects are
magnified over time.  This weather event is bound to have a profoundly
depressing effect on food supplies.

Despite it all, I was nonetheless able to find a few notables, the highlights
of which are--

Blue-winged Teal (37, mostly at WMDC)
Ring-necked Duck
Lesser Scaup (4)
Hooded Merganser (3 at KP)
American Bittern (at WMDC, second pond)
Black-crowned Night-Heron (at KP)
American Coot
Greater Yellowlegs (6--5 at WMDC, 1 at KP)
Solitary Sandpiper (3)
Spotted Sandpiper (on Baughard Hill Road)
Wilson's Snipe (18 at WMDC)
Purple Martin (5)
Tree Swallow (42)
Northern Rough-winged Swallow (14)