[Bristol-Birds] Algae eating goldfinches

  • From: "Rick Phillips" <sunfish0501@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol Birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Butternuts" <butternuts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2006 14:07:40 -0400

I was watching some of the many American Goldfinches feeding around my home
this morning when I saw something kindof interesting.  I was taking video of a
group of goldfinches lined up on a small branch which was sticking up out of a
large spring just across the street from where I live.  I at first thought the
birds were bathing and drinking, but as I watched more closely they were
pulling up large stings of some type of green algae and eating it with apparent
delight.  I watched them engage in this activity for around 10 minutes when
they all suddenly flew off.  Don't know if they were eating something tangled
up in the algae or not, but it sure looked like they were just eating strings
of algae.

A minimum of 5 male Purple Finches singing around the house this morning.

Rick

Rick Phillips
Kingsport, Tennessee