[Bristol-Birds] Albino Red-tailed Hawk on I-26 (NC)

  • From: Wallace Coffey <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 1-A Bristol-Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 17:56:29 -0400

Bill Grigsby sent an e-mail Saturday, reporting he had observed an albino
Red-tailed Hawk Saturday, Nov. 15,  near the top of the mountain on I-26 in
North Carolina about a mile from the Tennessee stateline.   When he searched
for information about albino Red-tails on the internet he discoverd the bird
was well known.  How about that ?

Dianne Whitacre, a staff writer with The Charlotte Observe,  posted a story
on the newspaper's website on Tue, Aug. 5, 2003,  about the albino.  In her
article covering the opening of the new I-26 in North Carolina, she wrote:
"Crews building the road often saw a rare albino hawk soaring on mountain
thermals. The Appalachian Trail runs nearby."

Gribsby wrote:  we spotted a white hawk in the trees beside I-26. I was
driving and my wife suggested that we pull off and go back to get a better
look with her driving. We did which is an ordeal because we turned around at
Wolf Laurel (3 miles into NC) and you must go back to Flag Pond (5 miles
into TN) to turn
around --- a total of 16 miles. As she pulled off, the hawk flew to a
tree further away, but still visible. When it flew, the only color other
that white was in the tail with a white band across the end of the tail
and the rest a color that would indicate that it was a Red-tailed Hawk.
I did not get to see the breast to see if there was a band, but the rest
of the bird was very white."

He said they looked on their return late in the afternoon and could not spot it
again.

I thought this was an interesting find and good observation.

Let's go birding.....

and Cumberland Nature Club.