[Bristol-Birds] 110 Red-necked Grebes in Sullivan County, TN

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'bristol-birds'" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2014 18:27:08 -0500

Jim Ratchford and I birded six and one-half hours of waterfowling in
Sullivan County today (Thursday).

We counted 110 Red-necked Grebes at two impoundments - Boone Lake and
Patrick Henry Lake.

Out of that number,  101 were found on Boone Lake and nine (9) on Patrick
Henry Lake.

The former was birded from the Buffalo Community at Beaver Creek and Davis
Marina along the

South Fork Holston River Embayment to Boone Dam.   The later from Boone Dam
to Fort Patrick

Henry Dam.

At Boone Dam, we also had a brilliant, male Long-tailed Duck (often seen by
others), 32 Red-Necked

Grebe, 2 Pied-billed Grebe, 4 Horned Grebe, 1 Eared Grebe (previously
reported by others) and

And ~ 150 Ring-necked Ducks.

We noted about ~30 Great Blue Herons on nests in the rookery just below
Patrick Henry Dam.

Before going to Boone Lake, we birded Paddle Creek Pond in Sullivan Co., TN:

Canada Goose  14

Mallard  10

Canvasback  3

Redhead  1