[Bristol-Birds] 11 Warbler Species - Breaks Park - Buchanan Co., VA

  • From: Ed Talbott <aquilaet@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 12:05:34 -0700 (PDT)

Bristol Birders,

  Michelle and I just got back from 7 hours of birding the trails of the Breaks
Park along the VA/KY border (also site of 2006 VSO Annual Meeting in a couple
of weeks.).  We knew it would be a good day as a Yellow Warbler greeted us as
we were heading toward our driveway this morning.  At the park entrance we
heard our first Wood Thrush and our first Northern Parula of the year.
Warblers seemed to be at every turn along the trails.  We were treated to an
Ovenbird at a distance of about 10 feet.  The biggest surprise of the day was a
Cerulean Warbler near the park horse stables.  We'll be heading over to Guesses
Fork tomorrow to see what the reclaimed strip mine sites might have now.
Spring is here.

  Yellow Warbler  (1)
  Black-and-white Warbler  (12)
  Yellow-throated Warbler  (9)