[Brewtopia] Brew Fest attending / volunteering

  • From: Owen Ogletree <brew@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: brewtopia@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 18:22:22 -0500

If you do NOT wish to receive these Brew Fest and craft beer updates,
instructions on how to be taken off this Brewsletter list are at the bottom of
this message.

To talk to Owen, please send an email to brew@xxxxxxxxxx

BREWTOPIA EVENTS EMAIL BREWSLETTER
Owen Ogletree (brew@xxxxxxxxx)
March 11, 2004
http://www.ClassicCityBrew.com
phone (706) 254-BREW

Hi guys!  Among other things, I just wanted to send out a reminder about our
April 3rd Classic City Brew Fest.  Please make plans come taste all the beers
with us at our most enjoyable beer festival ever!  WE REALLY NEED VOLUNTEERS
TOO!  Helping out at the Brew Fest is FUN -- read on for information on you and
your friends being a VOLUNTEER.  Please note the CHANGE in our March 31
volunteer meeting location discussed below.
PLEASE help out our charities by forwarding this Brew Fest announcement to
EVERYONE on your email address book who might be interested.  Thanks!

9th annual
CLASSIC CITY BREW FEST
Sat., April 3, 2004, 2:30-7 PM
Classic Center, 300 N. Thomas St.,
Downtown ATHENS, GA
One of the Southeast's Favorite & Longest Running Beer Festivals!
TICKET SALES WILL AGAIN BE LIMITED to around 2400 this year!  Everyone agreed
that this made last year's Brew Fest the most enjoyable ever!  Enjoy the beers
and music with more elbow room and without the long lines!  Sample almost 200
incredible beers from around the world and hear live music from the Artie Ball
Swing Band -- all for one low ticket price. Attendees will be pleased at the
great selection of regional microbrews and brewpub beers available this year!
ORDER TICKETS ONLINE, get directions, hotels, and photos at...
http://www.BrewFest.net

BREW FEST TICKETS: $21.50 (adv), $25 (door) plus tax.  Order tickets ONLINE or
call 706-254-BREW before March 30 to charge tickets by phone.  You can also
purchase in Athens at: Classic Center Box Office, Five Points Bottle Shop (S.
Lumpkin St.), Normal Brew Shop (Prince Ave.), or School Kids Records (Clayton
St., downtown).  Get tickets in Atlanta area at Beer Necessities (Alpharetta).
Click on http://www.BrewFest.net for ticket outlet addresses and phone numbers.
 GET TICKETS IN ADVANCE this year to avoid the line at the box office on April
3rd!
CHARITIES:  Part of each ticket price benefits: AIDS Coalition of NE GA, Athens
Area Emergency Food Bank, and the Athens Humane Society.
SPONSORS:  TERRAPIN BEER COMPANY (http://www.terrapinbeer.com), FIVE POINTS
BOTTLE SHOP (http://www.fivepointsbottleshop.com), Brewtopia Events LLC, Center
Stage Catering, Flagpole Magazine, Rock 103.7 FM, and Creative Loafing
(http://atlanta.creativeloafing.com/).  Be sure to tune into Owen's
entertaining on-air beer tasting and comments on Athens' Rock 103.7 FM,
Thursday, April 1st, 6:45-9:00 in the morning!
NEW this year -- EARTHFARE (http://www.Earthfare.com) will be having a special
booth at this year's Brew Fest that will allow attendees to sample two great
beers paired with two gourmet cheeses!

HELP!  THE BREW FEST REALLY NEEDS VOLUNTEERS!
We still need lots of responsible persons (21 and over) to pour beer and help
out at the Brew Fest on April 3rd, so be sure to volunteer AND also round up
some of your friends.  It's really fun to pour and be a part of the action, and
when the festival is over, the volunteers get to sample the remaining beers and
eat pizza!  There is also a free t-shirt and other goodies in it for you.  We
also need people to help do hand stamps at the door, run the registration
booths out front, and dump the dump buckets.  Volunteers should be serious
about following our rules, not drinking until the fest is over, and pouring 2
oz. samples!
IMPORTANT VOLUNTEER MEETINGS: Wednesday, March 31, 8 pm at ATHENS STEAM CO. PUB
(in the Foundry Park Inn and Spa complex, downtown Athens).  Please note this
is a new LOCATION for our March 31 volunteer meeting -- do your best to attend
if you are picky about which beer you'd like to pour.  If you can't make it to
the March 31 meeting, but would still like to volunteer, please be present in
the downstairs exhibit hall of the Classic Center by 11:30 am SHARP on April
3rd for the MANDATORY meeting for ALL volunteers. Please reply to this email or
call Owen at 706-254-BREW if you have any questions.  Otherwise, just come to
both meetings or at least the MANDATORY meeting on April 3rd.  Thanks.

WE GET E-MAIL
"It's about time Georgia passed the strong beer law!  Too bad we no longer live
in Georgia, we could celebrate a Pyramid Snow Cap with you (one of my new
favorite over the counter beers here in Idaho 7%). Anyway, congratulation to
all who have spent so many years trying to get this bill passed.  Keep up the
good work"
 - Dave Haralson, Idaho

"I want to commend you guys for putting on the best event that I have been too.
 Last year's festival was awesome and I have looking forward to this year's
since I walked out last April more satisfied than I have ever been.  I was
hoping you guys could try to get some of the breweries to bring some tap
handles to sell along with the t-shirts and pint glasses.  I would love to get
a chance to add some to my collection for my kegerator.  Anyways, I can't wait
till April 3rd.  Thanks."
- Dustin Watts, Athens, GA

BEER TIP OF THE MONTH
Are you a cursed beer fan on a low carb diet?  You'll probably be surprised to
find out that draft Guinness has fewer carbs and calories than Budweiser; and
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale has fewer carbs than Corona Extra!  Guinness is very low
in alcohol, and the burnt character of the grains makes the usable carbohydrate
count very low.  Sierra Nevada is much more dry than Corona, and this means
that more sugars have been converted to alcohol in Sierra Nevada.  You can't
judge carbs in beer by color!

______________________

That's about all for now. Take care and remember to always drink responsibly
and support homebrewing and craft-brewed beers whenever possible! (Owen
Ogletree is an Athens, Georgia certified beer judge, beer author and traveler,
homebrewer, and director of Brewtopia Events and the Classic City Brew Fest.
Feel free to email Owen at brew@xxxxxxxxx with any questions or comments.)
THANKS!

To UNsubscribe to this Brewsletter, please send an email (from your email
address that received this Brewsletter) to brewtopia-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with
UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT field.

To contact Owen about other matters, send an email to brew@xxxxxxxxxx