Atlanta Cask Ale Tasting news

  • From: Owen Ogletree <owen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: brewtopia@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 16:33:26 -0400

Subscription information for this Brewsletter list can be found at the bottom
of this message.

To talk to Owen, please send an email to owen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

BREWTOPIA EVENTS E-MAIL BREWSLETTER
Owen Ogletree (owen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
August 30, 2009
http://www.ClassicCityBrew.com
Events Calendar - http://www.classiccitybrew.com/calendar.html
phone (706) 254-BREW

* CASK ALE AT COPPER CREEK
Copper Creek brewpub in Athens, GA offers up an amazing cask of Oatmeal Stout
with lactose sugar, Mexican chocolate and habanero peppers on Wednesday,
September 2 at 6 PM. Owen also gives away two tickets to the coveted 2010
Atlanta Cask Ale Tasting at 6 PM, so be sure to stop by.

* ATLANTA CASK ALE TASTING - January 30, 2010
Our next cask ale festival takes place at the beautiful new 5 Seasons Westside
(1000 Marietta St. NW Atlanta) in January. Almost 20 rare cask ales from some
of the nation's best craft breweries will be on gravity tap at 5 Seasons from
4:00 to 7:00 PM. With less than 300 tickets sold, this ranks as one of the most
coveted beer events in the Southeast. Tickets go on sale for $37 each on
September 16th, 6 PM at http://www.classiccitybrew.com/acat.html. See the
website for full details.

* FROM THE BRICK STORE'S MIKE GALLAGHER
Monday September 7th brings another round of Beer & Cheese - 5 beers, 5
cheeses, $30 per person. St. Bernardus is our featured brewery this month.
Yeah, I know - it's like early Christmas. We will feature all their delicious
beers we have on offer with a surprise or two. Because it's Labor Day, I'm
thinking we'll offer our Brick Store Sliders and maybe a local Beef Frankfurter
for those of you who want the "cook out" without cooking out. I expect a good
turn out for this event and we do NOT take reservations. Please come at 6pm or
8:30pm and we'll have two informal seatings. Either way, we'll get you comfy
and get a beer in your hand.

* BRAMWELL, WV OKTOBERFEST
This is a delightful beer and music festival that takes place throughout the
beautiful old mountain town of Bramwell, WV on Saturday, October 10. Southern
Brew News' own Larry Johnson will serve as head beer judge at the festivities
this year. For full details, click on http://www.bramwelloktoberfest.com.

* ATHENS' TRAPPEZE PUB
Eric Johnson, owner of Athens' Trappeze Pub, launched a new Trappeze blog last
month - a collection of musings on craft beer, beer styles and brewing. Eric
invites all beer fans to comment on the existing posts and express their
thoughts. "Our hope here is to create another avenue where the craft beer
community can share ideas and discuss facets of the industry that matter to
us," says Johnson. Look for the blog at http://goodbeermatters.blogspot.com.
On October 12th at 6:00pm, Trappeze also has the honor of hosting a special
beer dinner with Avery Brewing Company's founder and Brewmaster - Adam Avery!
This night will feature many rare and delicious beers from Avery paired with
gourmet dishes. Adam will spend the evening with us talking about his brewery.
$45 per person.

* SAVANNAH, GA CRAFT BREW FEST
Join Owen and Kerri at the second annual Savannah Craft Brew Festival which
will feature 120 different craft brews, live entertainment, delicious food and
sultry coastal Georgia weather thrown in for good measure. This event comes
around on September 5, 1-7 PM on the Esplanade at the beautiful Savannah
International Trade and Convention Center. Tickets are $35 in advance and $40
at the door. Buy tickets on-line at www.savannahcraftbrewfest.com.

* PORTER BEER BAR TURNS ONE
Come out and celebrate the first fabulous year of Atlanta's Porter Beer Bar -
Saturday, September 12th - the party goes all day! There will be special kegs
from: Atlanta Brewing Company, Sweetwater, Terrapin, Dogfish Head, Stone,
Highland Brewing, Victory, He'brew, Heavy Seas and many more! Free Porter Tulip
Glass for all party goers!

* SUMMITS RANDALL MONDAY - AUGUST 31 (all day, all locations)
This week's Randall beer offering will be the same at all three locations.
Summits Wayside Taverns will be serving up New Belgium Fat Tire pulled over
Galena hops in the Randall units.  Come on in and see how fresh hops affect the
flavor profile of this popular beer.

* SWEETWATER'S NEW BOBBB
 Sweetwater Brewery is excited to release Big Ol' Belgian Blue Balls, (BOBBB) a
9% alcohol/volume Belgian wheat and rye brew made with local, organic
blueberries from Serenbe Farms. This is the first in a series of brews using
local, seasonal organic ingredients, which Sweetwater and Serenbe have dubbed a
?farm-to-bottle? initiative. BOBBB uses a Trappist Style yeast for this high
gravity ale which Sweetwater?s Head brewer Nick Nock chose to best complement
the subtle blueberry undertones. The blueberries are certified organic and
biodynamically grown, and 750 lbs were picked by Serenbe farmers and a group of
volunteers/beer lovers at their peak.

* TERRAPIN CHARGED WITH HOP ASSAULT
Hop heads should be on high alert for the October 1 release of Terrapin's new
Hopsecutioner Ale. Initial release will be draft only with six packs to follow.
This impressive ale packs an amazing wallop of hops in flavor and aroma.
http://www.terrapinbeer.com

* OWEN RETURNS FROM GREAT BRITISH BEER FEST
Owen Ogletree, Sachin Patel, Ed Hamrick and Jeff Rapp visited London this month
to cover the Great British Beer Festival.  When not at the festival, we visited
several of the city's best cask ale pubs. Anyone who fancies him/herself a
lover of flavorful craft beer should be certain to seek out authentic,
cask-conditioned, real ales in the UK's best pubs. A beer revolution is
underway in the UK - with small breweries popping up all over - producing
delicious examples of real ales packed with personality and elegant malt and
hop flavors. Click below to read more and see Owen's videos and photos...
http://www.classiccitybrew.com/gbbf09.html

* THE BEER WENCH ON CABOT CHEESE
In these difficult economic times, everyone is trying to find ways to have fun,
relax, and entertain on a budget. To assist, The Beer Wench has come up with a
great entertainment idea for those of you who love to entertain but don't want
to spend a small fortune to do it. Why not hold your own potluck beer and
cheese tasting with the affordable cheeses from Cabot? Read the full article
here... http://www.classiccitybrew.com/beerwench_cabotcheese.html

* STRANGE BREWS
Over the past 20 years, American beer experienced an exciting metamorphosis.
Modern craft brewers revel in experimenting with a fascinating array of
imaginative ingredients, conditioning methods, brewing procedures and
fermentation microorganisms. This article summarizes just a few of the most
exciting and strange new brews available in the Atlanta and Athens area...
http://www.classiccitybrew.com/athensmag_strangebrews.html

* OWEN & THE TORONTO BEER SCENE
Toronto's beer scene continues to make great strides since our first beer trip
there in the late 90s. Plan a weekend pub crawl to this diverse, interesting
city and seek out the places in our guide for delightful beer and food
experiences. See Owen's videos/photos and details from Black Creek Historic
Brewery, Beer Bistro, Victory Cafe's cask ale fest, and more...
http://www.classiccitybrew.com/toronto09.html

* HOP CITY TASTING
Atlanta's great retail beer store, Hop City Craft Beer and Wine (1000 Marietta
Street) hosts a special Brooklyn Beer Tasting on Wednesday September 9th, 5:00
to 7:00 PM at Octane Coffee across the street from Hop City. Try a FREE taste
of Brooklyn's Local 1, Local 2, and East IPA! http://www.HopCityBeer.com

* BOSTON BELGIAN BEER FEST
Owen is excited to be attending BeerAdvocate's Return of the Belgian Beer Fest
on Saturday, October 17 in Boston, MA. This outstanding event features a
hand-picked selection of over 100+ authentic Belgian and inspired beers.
Discover why many think Belgian ales are some of the most tasty and inspiring
styles of beer on planet Earth! The evening of October 16 offers a special
tasting of some wild, funky, Belgian ales. Called Night of the Funk, this
tasting will be loaded with farmhouse ales, Brettanomyces and wild yeast
goodness. Purchase tickets at http://beeradvocate.com/store/index.php/cPath/21

* DECATUR BEER FEST - OCTOBER 17
More than 100 of the finest local, American and international beers are
showcased at this annual event sponsored by area distributors and Decatur?s
restaurants and pubs. Enjoy live music on the bandstand and food from local
restaurants available for sale. Admission is $35 per person and includes a
commemorative tasting glass. The festival is limited to the first 4,000 ticket
holders. All tickets are sold on-line. No tickets are available for purchase at
the gate. You must be 21 or older to attend. No children or animals allowed in
the festival area. No exceptions! www.decaturbeerfestival.com

* FROM OUR FRIENDS AT ST-FEUILLIEN
Hello Owen - Hope this finds you well. I?m very pleased to inform you that we
just received the World Beer Award 2009, held in London last week, for our new
Saison from  as the World?s Best Saison and a second award for St-Feuillien
Triple as a Highly Commended Abbey Ale-Pale. These are both available in the
Georgia market now. Enjoy!  Cheers - Dominique Friart (St-Feuillien owner).

* BEER EVENTS CALENDAR
Follow the link below to check out the comprehensive lineup of Athens, Atlanta
and SE beer events on our interactive calendar hosted by KP of Atlantabeer.com.
http://www.classiccitybrew.com/calendar.html

* BEER NECESSITIES HOMEBREW SHOP
Looking to purchase some malt, hops, yeast or other homebrew or winemaking
equipment? Beer Necessities in Alpharetta, GA offers a staggering array of
fresh ingredients and useful materials, and they are happy to give advice by
phone or in person at their store. Beer Necessities also ships to anywhere in
the USA - check them out on-line at http://www.beernecessities.com. Tell them
Owen sent you.

* SUBSCRIBE TO SOUTHERN BREW NEWS
Love our local beer newspaper? Why not subscribe and never miss another issue?
Also, if you want to hit a huge, beer loving audience throughout the SE, just
send Owen an email about purchasing an ad as well. Head here to subscribe...
http://brewingnews.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_4&products_id=5

That's about all for now. Take care and remember to always drink responsibly
and support homebrewing and craft-brewed beers whenever possible!

Owen Ogletree is an Athens, GA beer writer, beer traveler, nationally certified
beer judge, and founder/director of www.ClassicCityBrew.com, the Classic City
Brew Fest, and the Atlanta Cask Ale Tasting.

To UNsubscribe to this Brewsletter, please send an email (from your email
address that received this Brewsletter) to brewtopia-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with
UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT field.

To contact Owen about other matters, send an email to owen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx