[brandon's list] Re: guitar hero world tour vs. rock band 2

  • From: Brandon Cole <superblindman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: brandonslist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 18:58:21 -0400

I would be happy to add to this discussion. Lag, as Clement said, is still there, but it is a bit lessened, and not nearly as player-effecting as it was. Now that's about as fair as I get with GH. When I initially spoke to Clement about the staggering amount of songs seemingly taken from the RB2 set list, I said 12, because 12 was all I picked out when Misty read me the GH set list for the first time. Understand at that time, it had been some time since I had seen the RB2 set list. Now, having unlocked several of the songs in RB2, I can tell you that the number is actually greater than 12. I no longer have an exact count, but I ran across at least 3 more that I hadn't picked up on the first time. And yes, they're different. As for the music studio, which I don't know if Clement has experienced, well, there's no arguing that it's GH World Tour's biggest feature. And on the surface, it looks great. But it seems to me that those who think it's totally, ungodly horrifyingly awesome are expecting more of it than what it is. And what is it? Why, a midi sequencer of course. Those aren't real guitars, and it's blatantly obvious when notes in created songs kinda blend together. The drum machine is its best part, as admittedly you can make some pretty neat beats even without actually playing the drums. But drums don't make a song, and so I'm not as awed by the music studio as a lot of people. Besides, even those who love it, and are PS3 or 360 owners, can only upload 5 songs maximum, and only 10 if their first five get totally awesome reviews.

That's all I'll say for now, but I totally encourage this discussion.

chou.clement@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
For all those who are interested, here are my opinions and hopefully Brandon will throw in his own two sense. Lag in gh is still there, moreso than in rock band. The drums are weirder with three drums and two extra symbols. And the worst thing is? The fact that setlists between the two games collide somewhat. About 12 of the songs that are in rock band 2 are also in Guitar hero world tour. And they play differently. Now, this might just be me but having to relearn one song for a different game can be quite tiresome. Especially when some of the notes make no sense. And it doesn't help guitar hero world tour has three songs by the same artist. Sure You can argue that this appeals to the fans, but the argument can also be made that for the ps3 and xbox360 versions, they could just release them as downloadable content, and allow the default list to have some other songs. That's just my opinion based off playing world tour once and hearing what other people have said about comparisons. again, I hope Brandon will contribute to this discussion.