[brailleblaster] Re: push by john.bo...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - Adding indevelopment package for developing final semantics and style ... on 2012-10-24 19:15 GMT

  • From: Michael Whapples <mwhapples@xxxxxxx>
  • To: brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 10:57:54 +0100

May be something like a package name like org.brailleblaster.styling, I don't know fully as I am not sure about the general purpose of what's going in there.

Main thing though, if you want to note the code as development code then there are much better ways like javadoc where you can note such information. Use package-info.java in any package for javadoc relating to the package, javadoc comments in classes, etc, it means you can add specific comments to packages or individual classes or even individual methods. Also properly documented APIs are always good to have.

Michael Whapples
On 25/10/2012 01:08, John J. Boyer wrote:
What do you suggest as an alternative package name? I want people to be
able to lok at this code, so they can see how BrailleBlaster will
eventually operate. Putting it in the default branch seemed like the
best way to make it available.

John

On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 12:10:10AM +0100, Michael Whapples wrote:
Is this wise to call the package name indevelopment? I would not want
the job of refactoring the code when its production ready, or is it
never going to be used outside the package until its ready?

As you sent a message to the list explaining for contents of the package
not to be used until completed, is it really necessary to give it
"meaningless" names which give no indication of the purpose of the
package? If anything which is in development were to be placed in this
package then unrelated things may get mixed together. Remember about
javadoc, there is even a file for package information, note that code is
development code in the javadoc.

Also with distributed version control systems like mercurial, remember
you can work in a local repository, committing there as much as you
like, and only push to the central repository when you feel its ready
for public consumption. Thus that also would get away from any concerns
of people using code which is not ready.