[brailleblaster] Re: What Java libraries do we need?

  • From: Michael Whapples <mwhapples@xxxxxxx>
  • To: brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2010 12:18:57 +0000

See comments below, marked with MW:
On 09/11/10 09:51, John J. Boyer wrote:
We need SWT, of course.
MW: Agreed, easy enough to do.

  How does one build SWT from source?

MW: We don't need to be bothered with that as the eclipse developers provide builds for all the platforms we need.
  We will
probably use tika, which requires a SAX parser. What parser does it use?
We will probably also use Jeuclid. We need to find o8ut what DOM or SAX
parser it uses also.
MW: I don't know whether jeuclid uses this directly but I find jdom in part of
its dependency tree. Also it may be worth noting that it also depends on
xml-apis from apache (http://xml.apache.org/commons/components/external/).
It looks like we will need a different SWT library for each platform.
MW: Maven will handle this, look at profiles. In fact as eclipse hasn't got a maven repository for SWT we will need to generate the POM, and if correctly designed BrailleBlaster just depends on SWT which will work out which platform specific version to include.

The C libraries will also have to be compiled for each platform. So we
will need to have platform-specific zip files for BrailleBlaster. The
user can chose the file needed from a website.
MW: Again simply done with maven. I am still working out the best way to build liblouis and liblouisutdml under maven, I found plugins to do it but they had to be built from source as they are still experimental and so may mean a bit more packaging work.