[brailleblaster] The editor, JDOM and handling input files

  • From: "John J. Boyer" <john.boyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 05:24:56 -0600

I am quite sure that we should use JDOM inthe editor. It is much easier
to use than dom4j and should be more flexible, since it uses
specifically Java constructs.

When the editor is told to read a file, I think it should just attempt
to parse it within a try block. If the file is not valid xml the parser
will throw exceptions which the editor can catch. The type of the
exception will help determine what to do with the file. If it is a
plain-text file I really think it would be best to pass it through
liblouisutdml, because this will produce a nice daisy file, all ready
for editing or embossing. If the file parses successfully the root
element will tell us what kind of xml document it is. If it is not a
Daisy file, we might pass it through a converter using xslt. pdf, Word
and other iles will need a different kind of converter.

Laura has worked extensively with tika, and I have used it for some file
conversions. We are quite underwhelmed. The quality of the conversions
really isn't up to whaat BrailleBlaster needs. We are thinkinng of
looking at other conversion libraries. A new version of tika is supposed
to come out soon. This may fix some of the problems.