[brailleblaster] Status and priorities for BB

  • From: Keith Creasy <kcreasy@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 14:48:20 +0000

Hello everyone.

Let me take a moment to update everyone and point out a couple of priority
issues.

As Vic noticed we do have a second branch going "WithBrailleFormatting" that is
somewhat experimental. We want to merge this into the default branch but one
issue is still preventing us from being able to do it. That issue has to do
with leading space characters in certain elements causing the braille index
attribute from being invalid. What seems to be happening is that the text is
tranlslated and the index values are set. Later, the extra space gets trimmed
but the index value remains so that we now have one more index value than we
have braille characters. In some cases I think the leading space might be
replaced with a new line element, but still the index value is left making the
index attribute invalid.

If we can get this problem fixed I think we are ready to merge the two branches
and start testing. Most of the other issues seem to have been resolved.

On another note, we have an image description tool for NIMAS and the decision
has been made to merge that tool with BrailleBlaster so that we end up with a
nice image description tool as a part of it. We hope to add it as an additional
"perspective" so it really should have no effect on current functionality. It
would share a few components such as the document, tree, and serialization
components.

Regards,
Keith

Keith Creasy