[brailleblaster] Re: Making BrailleBlaster Directly Executable

  • From: Michael Whapples <mwhapples@xxxxxxx>
  • To: brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2010 14:27:27 +0100

There's times when I just find my self screaming at the computer and this message is one of them.

WHY, WHY, WHY! YOUR MAKING IT SO COMPLICATED.

The simpler option I have seen done is to have shell scripts for Linux or batch files for windows, which simply execute the java command with the correct required arguments and passing in any arguments passed to the script. It saves having to learn about how the JNI invokes the java code and probably will be more readable to more people.

I don't know whether there are packages out there to help in generating these scripts.

Who knows, even maven may have a plugin to help with this, let's just stop rushing into things.

Michael Whapples
On 07/08/10 02:16, John J. Boyer wrote:
We will want to have BrailleBlaster as an executable program, that is,
an .exe file or whatever the platform requires. The JNI Reference Manual
contains an example of how to call the JVM from a C program. I have
adopted this for our possible use. Of course it will need more tuning,
and will need to use the preprocessor to make it specific to various
platforms. It is attached for your consideration. Note that this is NOT
a comkmand-line progrram. It just gets BBrailleBlaster started.

John B.