[brailleblaster] Java versions, notes may be useful for John

  • From: "Michael Whapples" <mwhapples@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 17:09:27 -0000

Hello,
I noticed you made a recent commit documenting the Java version stuff. Here is
some more information which may help you with making building easier.

I believe you are using ant for the build, here is a page describing how you
can set –source and –target in an ant build script
http://ant.apache.org/manual/Tasks/javac.html

In short the above page says that in the <javac> tag of the ant script you use
the target attribute to specify the –target option and the source attribute to
specify the –source option. Also if you are into ant properties then you can
use ant.build.javac.target and ant.build.javac.source properties for these
options.

If you were to make use of the above, people need not worry about what version
of the JDK they are compiling on, so long as it meets the minimum required
version (eg. JDK5) and it will run on any of the supported JVMs (eg. anything
above Java5).