[brailleblaster] Re: Interesting suggestion. [christian.egli@xxxxxx: [liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: Needed: People who know languages other than English]

  • From: Michael Whapples <mwhapples@xxxxxxx>
  • To: brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 15:43:17 +0100

Yes sounds like you have the same view as me regarding gettext and BrailleBlaster.

However what I was trying to say, if those on the liblouis/liblouisutdml lists feel it would be useful to use gettext to localise messages from the command line tools for the liblouis and liblouisutdml libraries then it probably will not impact on BrailleBlaster, so feel free to use it in those command line tools. If it were deeper embedded in the libraries and meant that BrailleBlaster and other users of the libraries needed to include gettext it might not be such a good idea.

Michael Whapples
On 25/04/2012 15:35, John J. Boyer wrote:
Hi Michael,

I asked the people on the liblouis-liblouisxml list for help with
translations because there are a lot of people on that list who speak
different languages.

The suggestion to use gettext is interesting, but I really don't see how
it would help us. The translations already available won't include our
menu and messages. I too would rather stick with pure Java in handling
localization. Using gettext would also mean that we would have another C
library to port, or at least keep track of.

John

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 11:33:08AM +0100, Michael Whapples wrote:
OK, I have3 a few questions:
* As the discussion was on liblouis/liblouisutdml, what localisation
would be done there?
* What localised text from liblouis/liblouisutdml would be used by
BrailleBlaster? IE. Is there any situation where BrailleBlaster will be
using localised text from liblouis/liblouisutdml? If no, then do we need
to intergrate the two localisation systems?
* I come at things very much from the Java side of things, what are the
benefits of gettext?

I will admit that from what I know, in languages like C and python
gettext is the main choice for localisation by open source projects and
so it might be the clear choice for liblouis/liblouisutdml. However I
think my second point/question is probably very relevant here, if such a
change will have near enough no impact on systems like BrailleBlaster
then you may as well go with what makes sense for C applications.

Michael Whapples
On 25/04/2012 11:20, John J. Boyer wrote:
There has been discussion on the liblouis-liblouisxml list of using
gettext for localization. The forwarded message is the most relevant.
What do people on this list think?

Thanks,
John

----- Forwarded message from Christian Egli<christian.egli@xxxxxx>   -----

Subject: [liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: Needed: People who know languages
other than English
From: Christian Egli<christian.egli@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 10:46:36 +0200
To: "John J. Boyer"<john.boyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

"John J. Boyer"<john.boyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>   writes:

BrailleBlaster is written in Java. Bindings for gettext would be
needed, and we would have to find a way to integrate it with the Java
localization algorithms. Has this been done already?
http://code.google.com/p/gettext-commons/ seems to fit the bill. A
tutorial can be found at
http://code.google.com/p/gettext-commons/wiki/Tutorial

Thanks