[brailleblaster] Re: Dynamic translation

  • From: "Steve Jacobson" <steve.jacobson@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2013 14:21:41 -0600

As an observer here, my intent is to say as little as possible.  I am a
programmer but am not part of this development team but
want to make certain a couple of things don't get lost in this discussion.

There are likely going to be many people who will be using screen readers with
this software.  Environments are complex and
varied, and I have no idea how a Java application will compete for priority, in
the Windows environment, screen readers are often
affected by how heavily other applications are using the computer.  To some
degree, this shouldn't happen in most systems sold
today because there should be plenty of resources to go around, but it still
does.  If working with a large document causes screen
reader key echoing to be slowed down or suspended while translation is taking
place, it will be seen as a major drawback by blind
persons.  Perhaps this is already part of the software, but there should be an
option to turn off dynamic translation completely
for those who find they don't need it and are satisfied to initiate translation
manually.  The point has already been made that
one can do a lot of document editing without adding any white space, and during
document editing is one time when variable or poor
responsiveness will be most frustrating.

What are the implications of cutting and pasting text from one part of a
document to another?  If the thought is that
BrailleBlaster is going to be a reasonably powerful word processor, we can't
loose sight of the fact that those who have written
word processors have had to work out many bugs in the process.  There should be
consideration given to when a document should be
created and refined in a separate word processor and when it will be
BrailleBlaster's role to function as a word processor.

I see what tremendous progress has been made, but some of this discussion
scares me a bit because I'm not certain this couldn't
easily get too large and complex to adequately maintain within an open source
environment.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson

On Fri, 4 Jan 2013 09:10:41 -0600, John J. Boyer wrote:

>As Michael suggested, retranslating at each keystroke is not a good
>idea. We might retranslate when the spacebar is pressed or when the user
>stops typing for a brief time.

>Finding out which node is being edited will be done by keeping a record
>of the starting and ending points of the text for the node. This record
>is kept in the semanticsList ArrayList in Semantics.java The StyledText
>control has a method for determining the current cursor location. I'm
>not quite sure how to tetermine the starting and ending points of a
>block of text, but I'm pretty sure it can be done. Also, we can write
>out own version of the StyledTextContent class. It is in the SWT custom
>package along with StyledText and some other useful classes. The
>abstract classes in the wordprocessor package may also be worth looking
>at.

>I can change the name of the documentmodel package to document. You also
>did not like the name Semantics. What would you suggest as a
>replacement?

>Thanks,
>John

>On Fri, Jan 04, 2013 at 01:18:33PM +0000, Keith Creasy wrote:
>> This makes sense. I still wonder how we can know which text node is being
>> edited. Any ideas?
>>
>> Also, where do the views access the DOM and where does the document update
>> the views? I also think all this needs to be in a
Document class so that it makes sense when one is just exploring the source
code.

>> Keith Creasy
>> Software Developer
>> American Printing House for the Blind
>> KCreasy@xxxxxxx
>> Phone: 502.895.2405
>> Skype: keith537

pressed a new liblouisutdml function will be called to trranslate the node.
>> liblouisuteml is needed because we are working with an xml document and the
>> configuration parameters used for the original
rendering should be applied. The function will not be diffiecult to implement.
It might be called something like translateTextNode
. There should be no noticeable performance lag for text nodes of reasonable
size. However, I have seen some with tens of
thousands of characters, so dynamic translation may be turned off for such huge
nodes.

>> The dynamic translation may make pagination and other things invalid, so the
>> user can retranslate (actually, re-render) the
documennt.