[brailleblaster] Re: Abnormal Termination

  • From: Michael Whapples <mwhapples@xxxxxxx>
  • To: brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2010 01:49:58 +0000

It won't throw an exception, its not something unexpected occurring. As my memory serves from seeing the SWT samples you have a loop checking that the application is still active, when it isn't it exits the loop. If its like other toolkits like GTK, you would have a listener for the event when the main window is destroyed, which would then tell the application its time to exit.

Also on linux you shouldn't kill it with control+c, again go through the proper toolkit way of notifying things of exiting, closing the main window would seem the logical event to trigger the exit code. As you are listening for the window close event you need not know how the user caused that, alt+f4, command+q, selecting exit from the menu, etc.

Michael Whapples
On 27/11/10 01:24, John J. Boyer wrote:
I am talking about the Java program as a whole. Alt-f4 terminatges GUI
programs on Windows. What is the corresponding keystroke o n the Mac?
The subcommands will usually start the GUI in special modes, such as a
bare-bones text editor. So if a user hits alt-f4 I suppose the jre will
throw an exception. I want to catch that exception and try to terminate
gracefully. Can I do it in the main method?

John

On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 11:27:12AM -0800, Alex Jurgensen wrote:
Hi John,

Are we talking on the command-line or from the GUI? The commands you listed for
the Mac nd Linux are the ones used to xit programs on the command-line before
they have completed.

Regards,
Alex,

On 2010-11-26, at 11:09 AM, John J. Boyer wrote:

What happens of someone gets disgusted with the way things are going and
hits alt-f4 in Windows or control-c in Mac or Linux? Suppose a fatal
runtime error occurs? What exceptions will Java throw? Can I catch them
in the main method and attempt to clean things up before exiting?

Thanks,

Alex Jurgensen,
VoiceOver Trainer,
ASquared21@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx