[brailleblaster] A Milestone Idea

  • From: Alex Jurgensen <asquared21@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 22:22:26 -0800

Hi All,

I was thinking that it might be a good idea to produce a quick-Braille mode at
the command-line for a first version. We can always add this later into the
binary if we feel like it.

My idea is a Command-Line tool that can be a sub-command of Braille Blaster
that would allow the user to quickly emboss ad document without needing to
format it. This is similar to the functionality of Louis for Mac
http://www.cucat.org/projects/ but without the GUI.

For example, a user could enter:

$ brailleblaster quickemboss --width 40 --height 25 --embosser tiger_pro
myFile.txt

This would send the document "myFile.txt" to a Tiger Pro embosser with 40 cells
across the page and 25 down.

I think this would be a good first goal of the Braille Blaster project as it
would allow both the input classes and embosser driver classes to be written
while creating something that can be used right away.

The only downside to this idea that I can see is the fact that the UI will not
be developed at the same time, because work on the UI related classes would
stop while the quick-emboss feature is written. However, if someone continues
to work on the UI classes while others work on the quick-emboss feature, I
think that we can avoid the problem.

If this does not sound good as a first goal, I suggest that we should include
this feature in the final release of Braille Blaster.

Please let me know what you think.

Regards,
Alex,

Alex Jurgensen,