[bookshare-discuss] Re: time magazine's top 100 nonfiction books

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2011 00:10:23 -0500

Well, I can see that I'm going to put 99% of the books that I haven't read yet that appear on Time's list onto my "books I'll never read list." grin. I'm basing that on how I feel about the 25 books or so on this list that I have read--I absolutely hated all but a handful.

Geez, and wouldn't you know, right there at the top of the Science books list is one of my five top books that I wish I'd never read: Hawking's Brief History of Time. Yuck!

I do, however, bow to Time's tastes on a few of these titles, most especially when it comes to Strunk and White's Elements of Style. That's definitely a gold standard book when it comes to grammar, writing and composition.

Judy s.

Bob W wrote:
http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/completelist/0,29569,2088856,00.html
All-TIME 100 Best Nonfiction Books Politics and war, science and sports, memoir and biography — there's a great big world of nonfiction books out there just waiting to be read. We picked the 100 best and most influential written in English since 1923, the beginning of TIME ... magazine
Autobiography / Memoir
The Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas by Gertrude Stein
Black Boy by Richard Wright
Dreams from My Father by Barack Obama
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou
Manchild in the Promised Land by Claude Brown
Maus by Art Spiegelman
A Moveable Feast by Ernest Hemingway
Notes of a Native Son by James Baldwin
On Writing by Stephen King
Speak, Memory by Vladimir Nabokov
A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson
Biography
The Autobiography of Malcolm X, as told to Alex Haley
The Last Lion: Winston Spencer Churchill by William Manchester
The Power Broker by Robert Caro
Business
Capitalism and Freedom by Milton Friedman
Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser
The General Theory by John Maynard Keynes
How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie
No Logo by Naomi Klein
Unsafe at Any Speed by Ralph Nader
What Color Is Your Parachute? by Richard Nelson Bolles
Culture
The American Cinema by Andrew Sarris
A Child of the Century by Ben Hecht
Within the Context of No Context by George W.S. Trow
Mystery Train by Greil Marcus
The Story of Art by E.H. Gombrich
Essays
Against Interpretation, and Other Essays by Susan Sontag
A Room of One's Own by Virginia Woolf
Slouching Towards Bethlehem by Joan Didion
A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again by David Foster Wallace
Food Writing
How to Cook a Wolf by M.F.K. Fisher
Mastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia Child
The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan
Health
And the Band Played On by Randy Shilts
The Common Sense Book of Baby and Child Care by Dr. Benjamin Spock
The Joy of Sex by Dr. Alex Comfort
The Kinsey Reports by Alfred Kinsey
Our Bodies, Ourselves by the Boston Women's Health Book Collective
History
The Best and the Brightest by David Halberstam
Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee by Dee Brown
Carry Me Home by Diane McWhorter
The Fatal Shore by Robert Hughes
The Gnostic Gospels by Elaine Pagels
Let Us Now Praise Famous Men by James Agee
A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn
The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William L. Shirer
Ideas
The Closing of the American Mind by Allan Bloom
The End of History and the Last Man by Francis Fukuyama
Godel, Escher, Bach by Douglas Hofstadter
The Hero with a Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell
Imagined Communities by Benedict Anderson
The Nature and Destiny of Man by Reinhold Niebuhr
Orientalism by Edward Said
Syntactic Structures by Noam Chomsky
A Theory of Justice by John Rawls
Understanding Media by Marshall McLuhan
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert Pirsig
Nonfiction Novels
The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe
The Executioner's Song by Norman Mailer
In Cold Blood by Truman Capote
Out of Africa by Isak Dinesen
Politics
All the President's Men by Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein
The Clash of Civilizations by Samuel Huntington
Conscience of a Conservative by Barry Goldwater
God & Man at Yale by William F. Buckley Jr.
Homage to Catalonia by George Orwell
The Making of the President by Theodore White
The Origins of Totalitarianism by Hannah Arendt
The Paranoid Style in American Politics by Richard Hofstadter
What It Takes by Richard Ben Cramer
Science
A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking
Coming of Age in Samoa by Margaret Mead
The Double Helix by James Watson
The Emperor of All Maladies by Siddhartha Mukherjee
The Lives of a Cell by Lewis Thomas
The Naked Ape by Desmond Morris
On Human Nature by Edward O. Wilson
The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins
Silent Spring by Rachel Carson
The Structure of Scientific Revolutions by Thomas S. Kuhn
Self-Help / Instructional
The Big Book by Alcoholics Anonymous
Elements of Style by Strunk and White
Social History
The American Way of Death by Jessica Mitford
Animal Liberation by Peter Singer
The Beauty Myth by Naomi Wolf
The Death and Life of Great American Cities by Jane Jacobs
The Feminine Mystique by Betty Friedan
Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond
Nickel and Dimed by Barbara Ehrenreich
The Other America by Michael Harrington
Why We Can't Wait by Martin Luther King Jr.
Working by Studs Terkel
Sports
Ball Four by Jim Bouton
The Sweet Science by A.J. Liebling
War
The Civil War by Shelby Foote
Dispatches by Michael Herr
The Great War and Modern Memory by Paul Fussell
Hiroshima by John Hersey
The Looming Tower by Lawrence Wright