[bookshare-discuss] Re: the worst book everprofessors analyzind books to ...

  • From: Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 19:27:08 EDT

I have heard the same sentiments expressed by any number of writers. I said
before that if year after year a novel has to be studied by class after
class in an effort to figure out what the author was trying to say, the author
did not say it very well. I think, though, that it is much more likely that
the authors were perfectly clear in writing what they meant. It is just that
literature professors read a lot into those novels that are not there in
order to keep literature professors in business.

                                                                  "If you
tremble with indignation at every injustice then you are a comrade of mine."
Che Guevara

                 The Militant: http://www.themilitant.com/txtindex.shtml
Pathfinder Press: http://www.pathfinderpress.com
                 _

table with 2 columns and 6 rows
Subj:
[bookshare-discuss] Re: the worst book everprofessors analyzind books to
death
Date:
7/19/2009 5:12:43 PM Eastern Daylight Time
From:
diverson@xxxxxxxxxx
To:
bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent from the Internet
(Details)
table end

Over the weekend I was traveling. Listening to a talk radio show I heard
someone quote the following. Apparently Hemmingway was intervviewed about The
Old
Man in the sea. He said the thing is, when I wrote the story, The boad was
just a boat, The Old man was an old man, and the shark was just a shark.
Like
many other sharks in the ocean. It could be that good writers just write
good storys and let the symbo.logy take care of itself.

Duane Iverson.

block quote
From: Elfqueen <elfqueen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bookshare-discuss] Re: the worst book ever
To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thursday, July 16, 2009, 8:34 PM

I hate that about English classes! If I obtain my goal of being a college
professor, I will never make my students do that. It's so sad, because there
are all these great books...but later, when one looks back on them after
having been forced to hack them to shreds, the shreds are all one sees.

block quote