[bookshare-discuss] Re: textbooks needed for class; was Wish List

  • From: Lisa Friendly <lisaf@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx"@freelists.org
  • Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 20:19:15 -0700

I wish we could just ask and the publishers would send them to us
lickety-split, but we only have that special relationship with a few
publishers right now (working on more). The fastest path is to send us
copies of the books that we can chop and scan and send back to you. If we
get stuff from the publisher we try to get it digitally, but they don¹t
always (or even most of the time) have it in a format we can use. In that
case, we would just be asking for free copies to chop and scan. So if you
have copies and can send them to us, that¹s definitely fastest.

If you can¹t get your hands on a copy that the school district will let you
chop, then it would be worth our trying to get a copy through the publisher
but it would take longer.

Re the other question below, we don¹t process the books as private label so
to  speak. We scan them and they are either validated by the requestor or
they sit in the validation queue waiting to be picked up. That¹s why it
makes the most sense for the requestor to be the validator, as Monica and
others have explained. You (or your student if you¹re not the student) can
be reading them as you are validating them (or before you¹ve finished
validating them). There¹s no rush as you are the requestor. Final thing, if
a student needs a specialized book and doesn¹t have the ability to be the
validator themselves (such as a technology or language book) then we ask the
list for volunteer validators. And, you yourself can always make a direct
request to the volunteer list bksvol-discuss, if you are on it.

The volunteers on the list are probably better at explaining all of this
than I am, so ­ back to you list!

From: Grandma Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 19:13:11 -0700 (PDT)
To: "bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx"
Subject: [bookshare-discuss] textbooks needed for class; was Wish List

Monica,

I can't find it now, but Lisa had posted that anybody
who needs books for school should contact her directly
with the titles and authors and, I supposem editions
if necessary and they an proibably get the books from
the publishers or the schools and scan and get them
quickly to the student. Probably if Ron called Lisa
with the info, or e-mailed her directly, he could get
results faster.

I don't know whether she sends the results directly to
the student or his/her parent or puts them on the
download list or both. If on the download list, the
parent or student could both use the book for class
and, whiule validating, get credit for validating and
get the book into the collection for somebody else's
use.

I see there is a copy of Cultural Anthropology in the
collection, but it's an earlier edition by a different
author.

Cindy