[bookshare-discuss] Re: stand alone scanners

  • From: Monica Willyard <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 21:12:25 -0400

Hi, Rita. I have held off replying to this because I thought someone else might have knowledge greater than mine. I avoid stand alone scanners for three reasons. The first is cost. It's just plain less expensive to get a normal scanner and get OCR software. Next is that you are stuck with using the OCR software embeded in the scanner itself. If you find you aren't getting good results from your stand alone, you'd be stuck with it with no real choices. With a normal scanner, I can use Kurzweil, FineReader, or Openbook. I can try demos to help me choose what works best and can change my mind. The final reason is that they aren't very practical for working with files. I do think one of the scanners has a USB connection. You'd use USB for a normal scanner anyhow. The only pro I can see for using a stand alone appliance is if you have absolutely no computer abilities and do not wish to learn to use a computer. Maybe others here can see posibilities that I don't. (smile)

Monica Willyard