[bookshare-discuss] Re: searching for a book

  • From: "groups Warford" <groups_warford@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 21:49:54 -0400

Hi Mary,
We've searched everywhere for a title such as you described: Bookshare
Amazon, Google and ... "nothing"!  The two closest ones that might fit the
description are listed below, and both are on Bookshare.  There is also a
great training book by the Monks of New Skete that I've always heard is very
good but it isn't on Bookshare.

Below are the closest two we could come up with, and judging by your
description, it sounds like the first one would be the best match.

Sorry we couldn't find the exact book, but we gave it our best shot (and
didn't shoot the dog, of course <smile.).

Take care!

Cindy 4 and Rick

Out of my mind. Back in five minutes.
--Author unknown

How Dogs Think : Understanding the Canine Mind  by Stanley Coren

 With information not widely known to lay people, this lively guide also
provides practical advice and wisdom that allows owners to discover the best
ways to teach dogs new things, why punishment doesn't work, how a dog can
actually learn to love or to fear, and how to turn that new puppy into a
"perfect," emotionally sound, inquisitive, happy, and obedient dog.

Combining solid science with numerous funny, informative anecdotes and
firsthand observations -- all characterized by Dr. Coren's own searching
intelligence and his (and sometimes his dogs') irrepressible sense of humor
-- How Dogs Think shatters many common myths and misconceptions about our
four-legged friends and reveals a wealth of surprises about their mental
abilities and intellectual potential.

Dont shoot the Dog! by Karen Pryor

Karen Pryor's clear and entertaining explanation of behavioral training
methods made Don't Shoot the Dog! a bestselling classic. Now this revised
edition presents more of her insights into animal--and human--behavior.

A groundbreaking behavioral scientist and dynamic animal trainer, Karen
Pryor is a powerful proponent of the principles and practical uses of
positive reinforcement in teaching new behaviors. Here are the secrets of
changing behavior in pets, kids--even yourself--without yelling, threats,
force, punishment, guilt trips...or shooting the dog:

The principles of the revolutionary "clicker training" method, which owes
its phenomenal success to its immediacy of response--so there is no question
what action you are rewarding
8 methods of ending undesirable habits--from furniture-clawing cats to
sloppy roommates
The 10 laws of "shaping" behavior--for results without strain or pain
through "affection training"
Tips for house-training the dog, improving your tennis game, or dealing with
an impossible teen
Explorations of exciting new uses for reinforcement training

Learn why pet owners rave, "This book changed our lives!" and how these
pioneering techniques can work for you too.

  _____