[bookshare-discuss] request

  • From: "Rick Roderick" <richard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 14:46:24 -0400

I got this from the Wordsmith list I am on.  I think it would be a great
addition to the collection.  I would be glad to validate it.  It would be my
first, but I am signed up as a volunteer.

Every night, before I tuck my elementary-school-aged daughter to bed, I read
stories to her. For her, storytime is sacrosanct: It's okay to skip dinner
or brushing her teeth, or even sleep, but not storytime.

Some nights when we're running late, I tell her, "You have to get up early
for your violin class. Let's leave it to tomorrow night."

"How about just a little bit?" she pleads.

Okay. I read, "Once upon a time..." and close the book. "There."

"No. How about five pages?" she proposes.

"How about one paragraph?" I ask.  And so the negotiations begin.

Eventually a deal is struck and I agree to read two pages, but before I
realize it, I've finished the whole chapter. The violin teacher can wait.

That's the charm of stories (from Latin historia: history). Even when we
grow up, our fondness for them doesn't go away. And what if the stories are
all true? Well, that's my upcoming book, published by the Penguin Group:

   The Dord, the Diglot, and an Avocado or Two: The Hidden Lives
     and Strange Origins of Common and Not-So-Common Words
   ISBN 9780452288614

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
8:20 PM