[bookshare-discuss] Re: question about the BookPort

  • From: "Tiffany H. Jessen" <tjessen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 11:54:00 -0500

In regards to bookshare, I too primarily use brf files, but there are times
when you get some funky back translation errors, so it may seem clearer with
the daisy files.
If you have fairly new versions of kurzweil you can send files to the book port
directly from within the program without having to manually convert the daisy
into something else. If you don't transferring formats is not necessarily
harder. It's just an extra step or two.
After downloading a book via kurzweil, push control O for open, and it will ask
if you want to open the last file you downloaded. Push y for yes, and then the
file opens.
At that point open the file menu with alt F, arrow down to save as and push
enter, or save a few steps by simply pushing the letter A.
At this point it asks you to type a file name, but it will already be filled
in, so push tab once to the save as type box.
From here you can either arrow to the format you want, or jump to it with the
first letter, like r for rtf or t for txt. once you fine the format you want
push enter.
Give it some time and it will announce that file name X dot extension X has
been saved in X folder.
At that point you can transfer away.
Now, if you don't have any version of kurzweil you can do it in other ways, but
I won't go into that right now unless you need it.
Have a nice day. We're supposed to be in for mounds of snow here. I hope so.
Jersey hasn't gotten much snow at all this year.

Tiff